Display Advertising Agency
When it comes to marketing, advertising is a big part of it. Online marketing includes what’s called display advertising, which is any style of visual advertisement we can use online to promote your business. In order to use display advertising successfully, it’s important to understand it, the different types, and the benefits of using this style of advertising.
Determining Your Audience
In order to decide what style of display advertising is best for us to use, we have to first determine your target audience. Having the right target audience in mind will help make sure that our display advertising makes it to the right people, allowing you to experience more success from the advertisement’s run. Here are some elements we consider when determining your audience:
- Demographics: including elements like age, gender, location, and interests
- Target Keywords: choosing specific and accurate keywords will help us reach the right people
- Placement: Determine what websites we want your advertisements to run on based on the audience you’re targeting.
- Retarget: Use past website visits to our advantage by targeting people who have visited your site in the past with ads that will remind them of what you offer
Types of Display Advertising
Now that we have your audience in mind, we need to determine which types of display advertisements are the right ones for us to utilize for your business. There is no right answer, and we can use one, a combination of a couple, or all of these advertisement types depending on your budget, goals, and audience.
Banner ads are the most common form of display advertising. These ads are named after the banner-like shape and placement they have. Most banner ads are rectangular and display an image and a few words that will immediately capture a site visitor’s attention. Most banner ads will be located at the top of a page, though you may also find them at the bottom or on the sides as you scroll.
Regardless of location, banner ads will be hyperlinked. This will allow a site visitor to click on your ad and be taken directly to the landing page we want them to experience: whether it’s your home page, a product page, or a contact form. In order to create a great banner ad, we consider these elements:
- Be compelling, with eye-catching animation and clear imagery
- Be concise, with trigger words and highlighted key points
Be clear, with consistency throughout your image and layout of ads
Rich media advertising is essentially marketing’s answer to the fact that many website visitors are beginning to ignore banner ads. Rich media advertisements use interactive elements like videos, animation, or audio to create a more immersive experience for the user. These advertisements tend to be more attention-grabbing than typical banner ads, which can make them more successful for your business.
Some of the elements that make rich media ads different than banner ads include:
- Dynamic visual elements instead of static images
- Viewers are often required to interact with the ad
- Larger file size, so they may not be supported by all publishers you’re considering
- May not send the user directly to your landing page, but to an ad expansion or further interaction
Interstitial advertisements are a style that work by interrupting the user’s browsing experience by taking them to a full-page ad before they are directed to the page they were wanting to visit. These ads tend to be interactive like rich media ads, and they will catch your user’s attention out of obligation if nothing else. These ads take up the full page that the user will have to close out of.
The most common place we see interstitial ads is between levels on an online game, and they can be static images or full videos for what they’re advertising. However, there are certain limitations to interstitial ads, including repetition of the ad and when they’re allowed to be shown. Typically, we won’t have your ad pop up upon opening an app or webpage, and we will never show it after every interaction.
There are definite benefits to using interstitial ads, mainly the fact that the larger size tends to be more effective for users, which leads to higher click-through rates and higher conversion rates. Here are some ways we make a successful interstitial ad:
- Make the flow as seamless as possible
- Don’t make them show up too often or stay on the page too long
- Make your call to action clear and easy to reach upon clicking
Video ads are often the most expensive type of display advertising but can be worth the cost if we have the right target audience for them. These advertisements work best on video-sharing platforms and can attract a lot of traffic when used.
Since video ads can be more costly, we definitely want to make sure they’re worth the investment. Here are some ways we create a successful video ad:
- Make it personal
- Be relevant to current times, your audience, and your offerings
- Be eye-catching from the first few seconds
- Choose the right format (consider skippable versus not, etc.)
- Don’t forget your call to action
Checking the Results of Your Display Ads
Once we’ve chosen the right forms of display advertisement, we need to make sure you keep an eye on the ads we’re running to see how they are performing. When it comes to the performance of our ad, we measure the following elements:
- Reach: this determines how many people saw the ad
- Impression: this measures how many times the ad has been shown
- Click-through rate: this is the number of people who actually clicked on the ad and visited the landing page
- Conversion rate: this is our biggest goal and considers how many people actually completed the desired task (made a purchase, downloaded content, subscribed, etc.)
Advertising is a huge part of marketing your business, and display advertising has truly become popular. While banner ads are still the most common type of display advertising, there are new, more immersive options that capture the attention of users who have become “blind” to banner ads. Determining your target audience and where they’re most likely to see your ads lets us choose the display ad type that will speak to them the most, and you’ll be sure to see success!
For a free estimate for your individualized advertising plan
Performance Based LLC wants to help your business achieve its full potential. We have worked with countless clients who have seen results that they couldn’t achieve on their own.
Sign up for Newsletter
to stay updated with marketing tips and tricks, as well as strategies to help improve your online presence.